The Best Winter “Thing-to-Do” in Saratoga Springs, New York
Saratoga Chowderfest is Saturday, February 4, 2017
Saratoga’s Annual Chowderfest is one of the area’s most highly anticipated events of the year. Family-friendly, fun and utterly delicious, Chowderfest features more than 80 vendors—including Saratoga County’s best restaurants and caterers—who open their doors to the public and serve hot bowls of chowder to event goers.
Presented by the Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau and DeCrescente Distributing Company, the 19-year anniversary of Saratoga Chowderfest starts at approximately 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. and will feature live music, family-friendly activities and, of course, a wide variety of chowders.
*We encourage dog-owners to please leave your pets at home, for safety reasons. No dog chowder will be served.
As you can see by the pictures and videos, it is a great time for the entire family. You don’t want to miss it! For more information on Saratoga’s Chowderfest or if you would like to become a member of the Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau and participate, please contact Connie!
People’s Choice: Thirsty Owl Bistro, seafood chowder
Best On Broadway: Thirsty Owl Bistro, seafood chowder
Best Off Broadway: Gaffney’s Restaurant, Southwest shrimp corn chowder
Best Non-Downtown: PJ’s Bar-B-QSA, veggie corn chowder w/optional choice of BBQ meat
Best Newcomer: Dunning Street Station Bar & Grill, shrimp and lobster chowder
Best Dessert Chowder: Sweet Mimi’s Cafe
Here’s how it works:
- No tickets necessary! Pick up a ballot form at any participating establishment or print it out.
- Taste different chowders for a $1 a cup (3 oz. serving)
- Vote for your favorite online at DiscoverSaratoga.org/Vote, all voting ends at 5 PM
- OR vote on the ballot and drop it off at Saratoga Springs Heritage Area Visitor Center or Saratoga Springs City Center where you can purchase your official Chowderfest long-sleeve shirt for $10.00 (XXL $12). Limited beanies for $5.00.
- Votes are tallied into 7 award categories.
- See if your favorite was one of the winners by attending the Awards Ceremony, Saratoga Springs Heritage Area Visitor Center at 6:30 PM
- Check out Winterfest tab below for more great events before and after Chowderfest!
- Chowderfest Participants
- Chowderfest Activities
- Hotel Deals
- Shuttles/ Parking
- 2017 Sponsors
- Winterfest Events
- Event Photos
- Event Videos
- Past Winners
Participants Serving at City Center:
- 2 West Bar & Grille – Corn & short rib chowder
- BWP – Cajun shrimp & chorizo chowder
- Courtyard Marriott – Chicken & biscuit chowder
- Fifty South
- Rising Sun Lodge No. 103, Free and Accepted Masons – New England clam chowder
- Saratoga Springs Knights of Columbus – Veteran’s Way chowder, proceeds go to 2 local Veteran Houses
- Wesley Community – Oh, so good New England clam chowder
Airstream Catering – Bacon cheeseburger chowder
Bailey’s Saratoga – New England clam chowder
The Barrelhouse – Classic clam chowder
Ben & Jerry’s – ‘Phish’ ice cream Dessert Chowder
Bentley’s Tavern – Crawfish & andouille chowder
Boca Bistro – Bacon & corn clam chowder w/ a cheddar biscuit
Bookmakers at Holiday Inn – Potato chowder
The Brook Tavern – Caribbean sweet potato chowder
BurgerFi – Cheeseburger beer chowder
Campagna Restaurant – Italian corn & sausage chowder
Caroline Street Pub – Reuben chowder
Carson’s Woodside Tavern – Jalapeno corn chowder
Chez Pierre – Crabby swiss chowder
Chianti Il Ristorante – Italian Bean & house-smoked sausage chowder
Circus Café – New England clambake chowder
The Comedy Works – Rodney Dangerfield “No Respect” chowder
Comfort Kitchen – Beer & bacon chowder
Dango’s – Chicken wing chowder
Diamond Club Grill – 4 choice chowder
Dock Brown’s Lakeside Tavern – Cheesy chicken & potato corn chowder
Dunning Street Station Bar & Grill – Shrimp & lobster chowder w/ bacon shrimp toast garnish
Esperanto – Curried fish chowder & vegetarian chowder
Fish at 30 Lake – Clam chowder
Forno Bistro – Italian wedding chowder serviced over rice w/ housemade semolina crackers
Gaffney’s Restaurant – Southwest shrimp corn chowder w/ tequila, bacon, & tequila wonton
Harvey’s Restaurant and Bar – Smoked chicken chowder
Hattie’s Restaurant – Fried chicken & tasso chowder
Healthy Living Market and Cafe (at Wilton Mall) – Vegan corn chowder or white chicken chowder
Henry Street Taproom – Taproom super chowder
Hungry Spot Cafe – Buffalo chicken chowder
The Ice House Bar & Grill – Update: no chowder served, will not be open due to effects from the Thanksgiving Fire.
Jacob & Anthony’s American Grille – Jacob’s chowder
Karavalli Regional Cuisine of India – Mulligatawney soup
The Local Pub & Teahouse– Vermont heady chowder
Longfellows Restaurant – Pork belly sea scallop chowder
Merry Monk – Beer & cheese chowder w/ bacon & pretzel croutons
The Mill on Round Lake – Andouille chicken sausage corn chowder
Mouzon House – South of Manhattan chowder
Olde Bryan Inn – BLT chowder
One Caroline Street Bistro – Shrimp, corn & poblano chowder
Panza’s Restaurant – Sacramento clam chowder with shrimp croutons
Park Side Eatery – Cheesy cheddar, chicken, corn chowder
Parting Glass – Seafood chowder w/ Irish cream cornbread
Peabody’s Sports Bar & Grill – New England clam chowder
PJ’s BAR-B-QSA – Veggie Corn Chowder w/ optional choice of BBQ meats -NY State Fair chicken, TX Beef Brisket, VA Smoked Sausage, NC Pork
Prime at Saratoga National Golf Club – Smoked seafood chowder
Putnam Den – Cajun chicken & potato chowder
Ravenous – Dessert chowder
The Reserve – Smoked bacon & corn chowder
Salt & Char – Shrimp, clam & chorizo chowder w/ herbed oyster crackers
Saratoga 5 Points Market & Deli – Mac & cheese chowder
Saratoga Arms – Taste of Southwest chowder
Saratoga City Tavern – Corned beef & cabbage chowder
Saratoga Olive Oil – Sweet & sour garlic chowder
Saratoga Stadium – Smoked chicken chowder
The Side Room at the Inn at Saratoga – Roasted corn & andouille sausage
Sperry’s Restaurant – Spicy chorizo clam chowder
The Springs (inside Saratoga Hilton) – Land & sea chowder
Sushi Thai – Hot savory soup & $1 sushi
Sweet Mimi’s Café – Dessert Chowder
Thirsty Owl Bistro – Seafood chowder
West Side Sports Bar & Grill – Louisiana Bayou chowder w/ whiskey cornbread crumble
Wheatfields Restaurant & Bar – Loaded baked potato chowder
Saturday, February 4:
Follow the Official Facebook Event Page
- Impressions of Saratoga – Friends of the Saratoga County Animal Shelter are selling hot coco & water to raise funds for the shelter & will have adoptable animals & info.
- Ben & Jerry’s – The North Country Wildcats 10 softball team is selling water.
- Universal Preservation Hall – New Life Fellowship Church is serving free cups of hot cocoa & cookies inside.
- Newberry Music Hall is hosting a Motown party with the dance floor open & showing Stand-Up Comedy clips in The Comedy Works with plenty of seating.
- Sperry’s Restaurant – Enjoy the 16 ft ice bar on the patio!
- Caroline Street – Saratoga Rugby Club is selling Rugby Discount Cards & providing info about their different clubs.
- Saratoga Downtowner Motel parking lot – SPAC Junior Committee providing info on the upcoming season & selling raffle tickets in support of SPAC’s classical season and other programming endeavors
- Shelters of Saratoga volunteers raising awareness & collecting donations at various dropbox locations throughout downtown from 11-4 pm. Contributions assist over 800 individuals who annually seek stabilization & a better future through their continuum of homeless services. You can also donate online at www.sheltersofsaratoga.org
Street closings from 11 AM–4 PM:
- New This Year! Maple Avenue from Lake Avenue to Phila Street
- Top of Caroline Street from Broadway to Putnam Street
- Bottom of Caroline St from Putnam to Henry Street
- Bottom half of Phila Street from Putnam to Henry Street
- Henry Street from Caroline to Lake Avenue
- Ellsworth Jones Place next to the City Center
- Ice sculpture in front of Roohan Realty
- On the Spot Photos at Impressions of Saratoga
- Capital Disc Jockeys and Photobooth at the Visitor Center
- A New England Nanny caregivers are supervising kid’s games on the patio behind the Visitor Center.
- Putnam Den -Face Painters, characters, and a hot chocolate station.
- City Center – Katrina Trask Nursery School have kid’s activities and JoJo the Face Painter and Balloon Gal Jenny.
- 23rd and Fourth (new location at 130 Excelsior) have face painting from 11-1, helium balloons & chowder, proceeds from chowder donated to Jake’s Help from Heaven.
- Visitor Center- Capital Disc Jockeys (10 AM-7 PM) Billboard songs from yesterday & today
- Henry Street- FLY 92 (11 AM-4 PM) Top 40 and Pop with Urban Edge
- City Center- Rewind 105.7 (11 AM-4 PM) Hits from the 80’s, 90’s & More
- Ellsworth Jones Place- Q103 (11AM-4 PM) Rock Music
- Downtowner Motel- WGNA (11 AM-4 PM) Country Music
- Top of Caroline St. – 101.3 The Jockey (11 AM-1 PM) 80’s, 90’s, 2K & today
– WRVE The River (1 PM-4 PM) Today’s Variety
- Bottom of Caroline St. – WPYX (11 AM-4 PM) Classic Rock
- Bottom of Phila St. – KISS FM (11 AM-4 PM) All the Hits
- Visitor Center lawn – The SSHS Fiddle Club is raising funds for their trip to Ireland
- Prime at Saratoga National Golf Club – Live music by Dan Sherwin
- Gaffney’s Restaurant – Live music by Jeff Brisbin, 12- 4
- Carson’s Woodside Tavern – Live music by Nate, 12-3
- Universal Preservation Hall – Delphino, a local Indie Rock Band
- Bailey’s Saratoga – Rich Ortiz from 4:30-7:30 PM, South Street Saints from 9 PM- 1 AM
- Saratoga City Tavern – Noon-5 PM, 4th floor dance party
- 7 Winners are announced at the Visitor Center at 6:30 pm on the day of the event.
- Music by Capital Disc Jockeys
- Public and Media invited!
2017 Saratoga Chowderfest Hotel Specials
Rates based on availability. Book your Rooms!
2017 Chowderfest Transportation
FREE Park & Ride Shuttles from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM:
- Upstate Transit Shuttles run busses from Wilton Mall at Saratoga at the park & ride near Dick’s Sporting Goods store to the corner of High Rock and Lake Ave near Hampton Inn.
- Upstate Transit Shuttles run busses from Saratoga Casino Hotel at the Crescent Ave. entrance at the CDTA/MegaBus parking area to Congress Park.
*The shuttles are not wheelchair accessible, but if you need a wheelchair accessible ride, please contact the Convention Bureau no later than Friday at 5 PM to make arrangements 518-584-1531.
15% DISCOUNT ON AMTRAK®
Travel within New York State on select service routes, and from New York State to Montreal and St. Lambert, Canada. Valid for travel from May 27, 2016 – May 26, 2017. This offer is exclusively available via iloveny.com and amtrak.com. To claim this offer and see the Terms & Conditions, click here!
2017 Chowderfest Sponsors:
PYX 106 Albany’s Only Classic Rock Station and Home of Quinn and Cantara in the Morning, Weekdays 5:30am-10am. Listen on-line on the free iHeartRadio App or at PYX106.com
Saratoga.com is the ultimate online destination for the Saratoga Region! Find restaurants, lodging, real estate and a directory of local businesses! Saratoga.com also offers locals and visitors a comprehensive events calendar, news, movie reviews and bloggers! For everything happening in Saratoga County, hundreds of thousands visit Saratoga.com.
Westminster Oyster Crackers are all natural, low in sodium, contain 0 grams trans fat, no cholesterol, no high fructose corn syrup, and no preservatives. Our Crackers are made in Rutland VT and are Certified Non – GMO. A New England Original since 1828. Great Tasting and Naturally Good! Perfect for chowder, soups and snacking.
Stewart’s Shops is a family and employee-owned convenience chain giving back to local communities. Offering milk, ice cream, coffee, Easy Food, gasoline and more.
2017 Saratoga Winterfest Events
13th Annual Winterfest Wine & Beer Tasting – Friday, February 3, 6-8 PM at Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs
Sample a selection of delicious & affordable wines and beers paired with a lavish display of savory hors d’oeuvres. Proceeds to benefit Wesley Foundation and Relay for Life: American Cancer Society. $20 Single Admission or $30 per couple.
Candlelight Ski & Snowshoe – POSTPONED to Friday, February 24 at Saratoga Spa State Park
Please bring minimum of 2 canned food items to be donated to Franklin Community Center. 1-Mile candlelit loop, bonfire, ice skating and hot food and drinks! Snowshoes available to rent on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Saratoga High School Hockey Team and the Skidmore Men’s Hockey Team hold it’s first Hockey Night in Saratoga – Friday, February 3, Games start at 6:45 pm and 7:00 pm at Saratoga Springs Ice Rink, 30 Weibel Avenue (Skidmore is in Weibel Rink
HS is in Vernon Arena) Raising funds for Code Blue Saratoga during the event and donating proceeds from t-shirts & food sales. T-shirts are $5.00.
Ice Bar at The Mill on Round Lake – Friday, February 3 at The Mill on Round Lake, 2121 U.S. 9, Round Lake, NY 12151
Vapor Night Club/Saratoga Casino Hotel Specials – Friday-Sunday, February 3, 4 & 5, Click Here for Details!
Music on Saturday, February 4:
- 9 Maple Ave – Keith Pray Quartet at 9 PM
- Gaffney’s – Blackouts at 9 PM
- Putnam Den – Wild Adriatic, Let’s Be Leonard, Bathrobe Robots at 9 PM
- One Caroline Street Bistro – George Muscatello Quartet featuring Shiri Zorn at 9 PM
- Caroline Street Pub – Late Shift at 10 PM
- Caffe Lena – Michael Jerling at 8 PM
Wilton Wildlife’s Winterfest – Saturday, February 5, 10 AM- 2 PM at Camp Saratoga, Wilton Wildlife Preserve Park, 80 Scout Road, Gansevoort, NY 12831
Join us outside for a day of snowy fun! Snowshoes and Cross Country Skis will be available for rental from the Information Cabin in Parking Lot #1 on Scout Road. Rentals are $5.00 per pair for use during the event or free (as always) for members. After stepping out on the trails, there will be a bonfire at the old Scout Camp’s Council Fire circle where participants can warm up by the bonfire with hot cocoa and s’mores. No registration is necessary for this drop-in, FREE event.
Irish Celtic Sessions – Wednesday, February 8 at The Parting Glass
Sip and Paint – Thursday, February 9, 6-9 PM at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame
$40 Museum Members, $45 non-members, a racing-themed paint and sip in the Hall of Fame, space limited so sign up early.
The Comedy Works Presents: Warren B. Hall & Guests – Thursday, February 9, 7:30 – 11 PM at The Comedy Works
Rich Ortiz and Wood Fired Pizza – Friday, February 10, 6-9 PM at Saratoga Winery, no cover charge
Ice Bar at Bailey’s Saratoga – Friday, February 10, 6 PM at Bailey’s Saratoga
There will be drink specials from Jameson and Absolut, and a Cold Spell ice luge! Selfie stations, ice benches around the fire pits, and ice high tops
Bartók Series: New Orford String Quartet – Friday, February 10, 8:00 PM at Arthur Zankel Music Center (at Skidmore College), 815 N Broadway, Saratoga, Tickets: $8 adults, $5 seniors & Skidmore community, free for students & children.
The Refrigerators – Friday, February 10, 8 PM at Vapor Nightclub
Annual Moonlight Ski and Snowshoe – Saturday, February 11, 6-9 PM at Camp Saratoga North, Scout Road, Parking Lot 2, Gansevoort, NY, Rentals are $5, no registration needed. Luminaries will glow along 2.5 miles of groomed trails. Along the way you will find fields and forests, warming bonfires, and plenty of hot chocolate! The terrain is suitable for all levels and ages and includes a smaller 1 mile loop.
20th Annual Bartenders’ Ball – Saturday, February 11, 6:30-12 AM at Saratoga Springs City Center
The evening will feature dinner, a VIP lounge, and dancing to the live music by Grand Central Station Band. $60 per person, tables of 10 encouraged for $600. Danceside tables for $650.
The Game’s Afoot – February 11, 17, 18, 24 & 25 at Home Made Theater at Spa Little Theater, Tickets: www.homemadetheater.org/current-season/the-games-afoot/
Saratoga’s Fat Bike Rally – Saturday, February 11, 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM at Saratoga Spa State Park (Warming Hut)
Free admission, donation of a non perishable food item suggested. More details: www.saratogafatbikerally.com
2016 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: Gaffney’s Restaurant, Southwest Shrimp & Grilled Corn Chowder with a Crab Popper Wonton
People’s Choice under 1,000 bowls: Dock Browns Lakeside Tavern, Shrimp Corn Chowder
Most Chowder Served: Druthers, Southwest Chowder
Best On Broadway: Thirsty Owl Outlet and Wine Garden
Best Off Broadway: West Side Stadium, Seafood Chowder with Clams, Crab, Corn, Potato topped with Fried Cornbread Stick
Best Non Downtown: Dock Browns Lakeside Tavern, Shrimp Corn Chowder
Best Newcomer: Carson’s Woodside Tavern, Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Soup
Best Dessert Chowder: TC Paris, Mini Tirami-sea Cupcake
2015 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: Druthers
People’s Choice under 1,000 bowls: West Side Sports Bar and Grill
Most Chowder Served: Druthers
Best On Broadway: Druthers
Best Off Broadway: Seven Horse Pub
Best Non Downtown: Longfellows
Best Newcomer: Three Vines
Best Dessert Chowder: TC Paris
Dog Chow Down: Lazy Dog Cookie Company
2014 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: Merry Monk
People’s Choice under 1,000 Served: Panza’s Restaurant
Most Chowder Served: Druthers
Best On Broadway:Stadium Cafe
Best Off Broadway: Olde Bryan Inn
Best Newcomer: Thirsty Owl
Best Non Downtown: Fifty South
Best Dessert:Bettie’s Cakes
Dog Chow Down: Milton Manor Pet Spa
2013 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: Seven Horse Pub
People’s Choice under 1,000 bowls Served: The Local Pub
Most Chowder Served: Parting Glass
Best On Broadway and Best Newcomer: Druthers
Best Off Broadway: Seven Horse Pub
Best Non Downtown: Longfellows
Best Dessert-Themed Chowder: Ben & Jerry’s
Dog Chow Down Winner: Impressions of Saratoga
2012 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: The Seven Horse Pub
Best On-Broadway: Cantina
Best Non-Downtown Chowder: Longfellow’s
Best Off-Broadway: The Seven Horse Pub
Best Newcomer: The Saratoga Springs Fire Department
Best Chowder-Themed Dessert: Bettie’s Cakes
Most Chowder Served: The Parting Glass
Dog Chow Down: Sloppy Kisses of Saratoga
2011 Chowderfest Winners:
People’s Choice: The Parting Glass
Best On-Broadway: Cantina
Best Off-Broadway: Seven Horse Pub
Best Non-Downtown: Longfellows Restaurant
Best Newcomer: American Culinary Federation
Most Chowder Served: The Parting Glass